mignonette n : Mediterranean woody annual widely cultivated for its dense terminal spikelike clusters greenish or yellowish white flowers having an intense spicy fragrance [syn: sweet reseda, Reseda odorata]
EtymologyFrom the French mignon, dainty
- Rhymes: -ɛt
- A plant (Reseda odorata) having greenish flowers with orange-colored stamens, and exhaling a delicious fragrance. In Africa it is a low shrub, but further north it is usually an annual herb.
- a grey-green colour, like that of the plant.
- mignonette colour:
- Russian: резеда /r'ez'edá/ (1)
- of a grey-green colour, like that of the plant.
Mignonette may refer to:
- Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo, a character in The Princess Diaries
- Mignonette (album), a 2004 folk album
- Mignonette (locomotive), a locomotive of the Great Western Railway
- Mignonette (Reseda), a genus of fragrant herbaceous plants
- Mignonette (yacht), the subject of an English criminal case
- USS Mignonette (1861), a steam operated tugboat
- Mignonette day in the French Republican Calendar
- Mignonette (birthday flower)
- Mignonette (language of flowers)